Our sweet Addie had her second eye surgery on March 20th. The first time Dr. Yen weakened in the inner eye muscles and this time she tightened the outer eye muscles. The night before Addie's surgery Daniel gave Addie a blessing, and me because I was beside myself with worry. I don't know what was wrong with me, but I was horribly worried about her. We first explained to the kids what was going to happen to Addie in the morning. The boys kept saying, "They're going to CUT Addie's eye." Very mater-of-factly. Staucie seemed to understand a little more and told us that she was sad for Addie. She seemed scared for her little sister. Sweet Staucie. After we put the kids to bed that night I went downstairs and knelt on the floor and bawled. I didn't take it this hard the first time. I don't know what the deal was. Daniel came down a little later and held me and talked to me and made me feel better.
The next morning Addie and I left at 5:30am to drive down to Texas Children's Hospital. Addie had to fast and her surgery didn't end up starting til almost 9am. There was also a huge storm going on outside but we didn't have to drive in any of it, luckily.
Addie did really well while we had to wait. I took lots of pictures to send to her dad and grandparents.This was after she had her gown on and we were in the smaller waiting room where all the doctors, nurses, and people talk to you and then take your baby. We waited in there longer than anyone else. I was starting to get quite frustrated. I don't know if Dr. Yen got stuck in the storm or what. They never apologize at these places for keeping you waiting. They are all mighty and you are just the patient who needs them.
She was so sweet with her blankie and baby. Blankie and baby accompanied her to her surgery. They even had their own hospital tags.
In recovery. Addie had a hard time coming out of the anesthesia this time. She was screaming, which is normal. But I guess the nurse thought she was in a lot of pain by the way she was screaming and put morphine into her IV. I didn't know that is what she gave her, otherwise I would have said no. When Addie is upset her body stiffens and she screams and she does act like she is in a lot of pain by the way she moves and cries, but that is just her. The morphine knocked her out, but then everytime I would try and wake her and give her water she would throw up. In this picture she is in her 3rd outfit. I am sure it was the morphine.
I had to change her a few times with all the tubes and wires attached. She threw up on her beloved blanket several times too. We ended up getting out of there a couple hours later then I thought. She would not wake up. And then when I finally got her in the car, she threw up again and then had to ride the 45-60 minute drive home in her throw up. When I got her home I changed her and asked her if she wanted to go to sleep and she said, "yep." She slept for an hour and a half and then woke up much better.
Our friend Tami brought us over dinner that night and Addie ate a whole plate full. She had some Tylenol and has been doing great ever since.
This is her eye the day after surgery in the car.
This is the second day.
Both eyes looked the same, but the right eye was a little brighter red so it stood out more. I don't know why she is holding her neck :)
This is like a week or more later. She had a little bruising under her eyes and looked a little abused for awhile.
Now it has been over a month and as of now her eyes are straight. They are still a little red on the outer parts but they look good. There is no way of knowing if her eyes will turn in again. It could happen tomorrow, in a few months, in a few years, or never. She will just always see an eye doctor. We love our little, crazy girl!



0 comments:
Post a Comment