There really are lots of bugs in Texas, but some people seem to disagree and tell me that they have never seen any. I kill them all day long in my house. I am hoping that this will lessen over time when we can get them under control. The house was vacant for awhile before we moved in so the bugs made a nice home. I knew before we came that I would have to deal with way more bugs then before. For those of you who live in Texas and have never seen any bugs then yeah for you, but I know there are more bugs here in the Houston area than there were in Utah and California. I only saw spiders and ants. The night we moved into this house there were large cockroaches outside the front door when I tried to go to the car. Then as I walked across the sidewalk they ran back and forth in front and behind me as I screamed. I thought, "Welcome home." We have seen them in the house, Daniel just killed one in our bedroom a couple nights ago. My bug guy said it would be normal to see 2-3 in our house a month. Plus, we have spiders, pharaoh ants, silver fish, and other insects that I do not know the names of.
Anyway, people keep telling us that we are crazy and that they have never seen any bugs here. So, for all those who have lived in Texas and have seen their share of bugs PLEASE share. I don't like feeling like I am the only one in the world bothered by all the bugs in this humid climate. Although, I know I am a little extreme when it comes to the creepy crawly things. Maybe I will take a picture of the next cockroach I see so I can share all the glory.
Dropping Nate off at TAMU
3 weeks ago



12 comments:
Oh no Sheena... there are TONS AND TONS of bugs here in Dallas. I just killed 2 spiders, an earwig, a beetle, and a roly-poly bug in my house today. And that's not to mention flies and ants (I swear I clean my house!). We haven't gotten a pest control service, but everyone here has them. You can't live without them! I hope you guys solve your bug problem soon. You're not going crazy. The varmints are everywhere!!!!!!
Cockroaches - YUCK! When we lived in Austin we had SCORPIONS. I was beyond terrified. I mean out of my mind scared of them. We had lived there for a week and I walked into my kitchen and there was a scorpion in the middle of the floor. I had never seen one before (like in person, not behind glass). I screamed for Danny to get in there and take care of it. We had them the entire time we lived there (probably once or twice a month). Maybe this isn't making you feel any better, SORRY! I just know how you feel. I was convinced that the term 'everything is bigger in Texas' only referred to their insects. Even bugs and spiders that we had in California and Utah looked like they were on steroids in Texas.
I haven't lived in Texas, but the climate is similar to Alabama, so I assume the bugs are too. I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse, but you probably moved at the worst time of the year for bugs. In the summer they really pick up and in the winter there are a lot fewer. The good news is, you probably have lightning bugs outside at night! Those are the little flying bugs whose butts light up! Kids love them! You can even catch them and if you kill them when their butt is lit up it will stay lit for a little while. lol.
I have no advice for you, maybe you should take up drinking...i ahve no clue, hang in there!
Hey Sheena I grew up in TX and yes big cockroaches are not fun!!! My dad would get our own spray from Home Depot and he'd spray around the perimeter inside and outside our house! When doing it inside make sure you are gone for a couple of hours cause it is some potent stuff (especially with babies crawling around) You should see them less, but I think it is inevitable you'll see one every 6-8 weeks or so:( I HATE bugs too and they make me cry too!!!
call the terminix people as well!!! Hope your situation gets better :)
YUCK!!!! I was under 4 yrs. old when I lived in Texas, but I still remember the bugs. Fire ants (due to tramatic experience) and bright red bugs that were on a fence in the back yard.
I don't have any wild bug stories. But that is gross and I hope that you can see less and less of them soon. Good luck!
my least favorite month back home was always june because the june bugs would pile up on the porch and if you forgot, you'd step outside with a big, "crunch". it grossed me out.
and if you keep the door open for more than a couple seconds, moths fly in. i used to have nightmares about moths.
i remember when we moved from garland to mesquite, there were a ton of bugs in our new house. i think that's normal (like you said) for there to be a lot in a house that hasn't been lived in for awhile. i'm not gonna say they went away completely, but after awhile it was a lot better. just make sure you keep your bedroom clean. i would always let my clothes pile up on the floor and when i went to clean up, it was inevitable that there would be a spider or two hiding in the piles.
good luck, and call pest control.
I am sorry about the bugs- I know how you feel- really. I laughed about the comment from someone about the scorpion- the day I moved into our house there was one in the livingroom waiting for us. We have had four inside. Our house was professionally sealed for them a couple of months ago, so we are hoping it works. All I can say is get a good bug guy and spray every month. Cockroaches die in bug spray- that is the good thing about them. If your company does not get them, you try another one. I have had three companies already since we have been here- they always get the roaches, it is the scorpions that don't die.
The other part of having them run everywhere when you are outside is something you just get use to and you learn to walk really fast and on your tip toes. We wish you luck. I really hate bugs too, so I am with you on this. How did we both end up in such buggy places? Oh- another thing- if you can see light under your door from outside then they can get under it. Get new weather stripping or do what I did and duct tape the bottom at night.
Eew. We have bugs here, but nothing like what you're dealing with!!! EEEEEWWWWW. I'm so sorry!
Ask me whatever you want and I'll try to help with the blog (not that it isn't already cute!). I'm no professional, though!
Hey Sheena, it's Lindy Summers hey I stumbled on your blog and had to comment. We are in Washington D.C. and although I Love it here I hate the bugs. We have been in our house for a year now and insects are kicking our butts this year. Spiders, ants, and these weird jumping like spiders are a daily event. The exciting bugs are the carpenter Bees drilling holes into our house, earwigs 100s come out when Kyle mows the lawn, and the ticks two in Emma and one in myself those are the worst.
Post a Comment